After a bad experience with fresh figs many years ago (think finding worms inside one I was eating during a tour in Israel) I’ve been traumatized and haven’t bought them since! As I was cleaning out my pantry this weekend and found a package of dried figs I was about to toss them when I decided to see if I could change the taste if I added some chocolate to them because chocolate coated anything makes everything better in my book! I was pleasantly surprised what a little Trader Joe’s cocoa powder could do to otherwise blasé figs after being roasted since it tasted like candy! This recipe is so simple and you could make it on Pesach too!
Recipe for Cocoa Roasted Figs
- Dried figs
- Olive oil
- 1T 100% unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Chop up dried figs into small pieces and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil or spray
- Evenly coat with cocoa powder
- Roast for 20 minutes using a spatula to flip it all at the halfway point.