There are very few things that I truly miss when I follow the Paleo diet. I used to really, really miss having dairy so that I could have my beloved Talenti gelato every so often..but now when I think of gelato I think of the massive sugar crash I experience every single time I have some. When I heard that there was a paleo approved pasta that was kosher I was skeptical about trying it because I’ve tried many gluten free pastas and they all kind of tasted the same in my opinion. So when I tried Capello almond flour pasta I was pleasantly surprised..it was like eating artisanal pasta from an Italian restaurant and soooo good! The stuff is not cheap so I saved it for a day where I needed all those carbs (crazy Spartan race training) I made a bolognese with sautéed shallots and baby bella mushrooms to mix with the pasta and the flavor was insane! This is the perfect dish for a date night for two. Oh and my husband does not eat Paleo and he said this was the best pasta dish he ever tasted if that says anything!
Recipe for Shallot and mushroom bolognese:
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 box of Capello almond flour fettuccini or zoodles!
- Cooking fat (i.e. avocado oil, coconut oil)
- Can of Trader Joe low fat marinara sauce
- 1 carton of baby bella mushrooms (sliced thinly)
- 3 shallots (sliced thinly)
- Basil for garnish
- Roasted fresh garlic (optional)
- Heat oil in skillet and brown meat using a wooden spoon to break apart the meat into small crumbles
- In a separate pan sauté the mushrooms and shallots (if you have truffle oil on hand add a small amount to intensify the flavor)
- Once the meat has browned add the can of marinara sauce and stir it into the mixture. Add in the sautéed mushrooms and shallot and lower the heat to a simmer.
- Place lid on pan and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve over almond flour pasta or any spiralized veggie!